00F: Half-Day Administrator’s Boot Camp: Getting Started with NIH
This 1/2 day workshop is offered in the morning and afternoon.
Note: To participate in this session you must be registered for “Pre-Seminar Workshops” and the “2-Day Seminar”
What to Expect
The Administrator’s Boot Camp is an introductory level, hands-on workshop for new NIH applicants. Sessions will provide information and case studies on the basics of the pre-award process — highlighting key activities, timelines, considerations, and resources. Starting from the very beginning of the pre-award process through the time of award, topics will include identifying funding opportunities, using the application guides, and understanding the Notice of Award and selected post-award requirements.
This workshop is open to all but developed to specifically guide administrators at applicant organizations with little or no previous experience applying for NIH awards.
Upon completion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- identify the roles and responsibilities of key individuals at their institutions who will interact with NIH;
- identify the steps needed to complete and submit a grant application to NIH, using Funding Opportunity Announcements and the NIH Application Guide; and
- determine grantee post-award responsibilities, using the Notice of Award and NIH Grants Policy Statement.
- Getting to know the NIH
- Overview of workshop topics
- Discuss how presentations will be structured
- Case studies in small groups
- Key terms, definitions and acronyms
- Roles and responsibilities at:
- Applicant organization
||Funding Opportunity Announcements (FOAs) and the NIH Application Guide
- How to find the FOAs
- Understanding special FOA requirements
- How to find the application guide
- How to use the application guides and FOAs
- Applicant eligibility and registration requirements
- Just-In-Time (JIT)
||Walk-Thru of the Notice of Award (NOA)
- Sections of the NOA
- Terms of Award
- Reporting Requirements
- Understanding the NIH Grants Policy Statement (GPS)
- Final Remarks
- What to expect in 2-Day Seminar